Looking to buy bitcoin (BTC) in the UK, but don’t know where to start? It doesn’t need to be complicated.
Buying bitcoin with a debit or credit card is the easiest, quickest, and simplest way to get started.
In this guide, I’ll walkthrough the easiest and quickest options in the UK.
Introduction: Buying Bitcoin with a Debit or Credit Card
Buying bitcoin (BTC) in the UK used to be difficult.
In 2019, it’s easier and cheaper to buy bitcoin than it’s ever been before.
In this post, I’ll show you the best ways to buy bitcoin with a debit or credit card in the UK. They’re each reputable, trusted, and well-recommended options across the crypto-community.
Don’t Use Credit Cards to Buy Bitcoin!
If possible, buy bitcoin with a debit card – NOT a credit card.
When you buy bitcoin with a credit card in the UK, you’ll probably be charged extra fees by the card issuer.
In early 2018, Mastercard changed the Merchant Category Code (MCC) for cryptocurrency purchases. They’re now treated as a cash advance.
What’s this mean?
- Cash advances aren’t usually included in promotional offers (i.e., not included in 0% purchase cards).
- They might incur a higher interest rate than normal purchases (which will accrue immediately, as there’s no grace period).
- You’ll have to pay a cash advance fee (a % of the cash advance, usually more than 3%).
In short? Use a debit card to buy bitcoin in the UK. You’ll pay no additional fees.
Best Ways to Buy Bitcoin with a Debit or Credit Card
Coinbase is the easiest, quickest, and very popular way to buy bitcoin (BTC) in the UK.
You can also buy bitcoin cash (BCH), ethereum (ETH), ethereum classic (ETC), and litecoin (LTC) with a debit or credit card on Coinbase.
Some fun facts about Coinbase:
- The world’s largest bitcoin broker (established 2012).
- Available in 42 countries (including the UK, Europe, and the United States)
- Have over 20 million customers.
- Traded over £150 billion in different assets.
Getting started with Coinbase in simple. Expand the sections below if you need help.
Get $10 (about £7) of FREE bitcoin when you buy $100 or more of bitcoin (BTC) through this link.
Coinbase guides you through the whole process. You shouldn’t have much of a problem, and it won’t take long to get started.
- Signup using the (full) name and address on your ID.
- Don’t worry about sending Coinbase your ID (they’re regulated and reputable).
- If you have any issues with identify verification, check out this post.
- Buy bitcoin with a debit card (if you use a credit card, you’ll probably pay cash advance fees).
Follow these steps.
- How much you want to buy in local currency (e.g., pounds) OR
- How much you want to buy in bitcoin (BTC).
When you enter a number into one box, it will update the other.
When you're happy with the quoted price, click 'Buy Bitcoin Instantly' on the left side of the page.
- It'll ask you to confirm the purchase.
- Check the details and press 'Confirm Buy' when you're ready.
You now own some bitcoin (BTC). If you purchased over $100, you should receive your signup bonus ($10 in Bitcoin) in your wallet immediately.
Wirex charges a markup of 1.5% when buying bitcoin with a debit or credit card (this is baked into the BTC/GBP exchange rate you’re shown).
You can also buy the following cryptocurrencies with a debit or credit card on Wirex:
- Ethereum (ETH)
- Litecoin (LTC)
- Ripple (XRP)
- Waves (WAVES)
- Wollo (WLO)
- Dai (DAI)
Wirex is fully supported in 31 countries, which includes the UK and Europe.
Although Wirex offers crypto debit cards, you don’t need to order one to buy bitcoin (or other cryptocurrencies) with a debit or credit card on their platform.
Check out the Quick Wirex Guide linked below for more information.
Other UK Options
Coinbase and Wirex are your best options for buying bitcoin (and other cryptocurrencies) in the UK.
They’re both simple, easy-to-use, and a great starting point for newcomers who are looking to make their first bitcoin purchase.
Here are some other options (but I don’t recommend them):
Buy Bitcoin Cheaply in the UK
Want to buy bitcoin as CHEAPLY as possible in the UK?
Need help with something?
Got a question? Want help understanding something crypto-related?
Or maybe you just want to chat?