Wirex Card Review (2020)
- Ease of Use
- Customer Support
- Payment Options
I’ve been impressed by Wirex.
It’s a crypto-friendly account, which has EXTREMELY competitive fees, provides the market rate exchange rate, and a good user interface. Wirex now supports Bitcoin (BTC), Ethereum (ETH), Ripple (XRP), and an ever-growing list of other cryptocurrencies.
It’s definitely the best bitcoin debit card available in the UK and Europe.
Wirex is a crypto-friendly currency account. It allows you to store, transfer, and exchange between cryptocurrencies (e.g. Bitcoin) and fiat currencies (i.e. GBP, EUR, & USD).
With Wirex’s GBP Visa Debit card, you can also shop in-store and online.
Is it the best bitcoin debit card in the UK and EU? Check out this Wirex review to see why I love it.
Advantages & Disadvantages
- Quick verification (< 5mins).
- 4* Trustpilot rating (700+ reviews)
- Hold a UK FCA e-money licence.
- 24/7 customer support.
- Buy and sell bitcoin (BTC), ether (ETH), litecoin (LTC), ripple (XRP), waves (WAVES), wollo (WLO), dai (DAI), nano (NANO), and stellar (XLM) at competitive rates.
- Makes buying and sell supported cryptocurrencies really quick and easy.
- Cashback (0.5% in satoshis) when you use your Wirex card (in-store only).
- Contactless Visa Debit cards (issued and delivered for FREE).
- Browser-based and mobile apps (iOS & Android).
- Provide crypto-friendly business accounts too.
- £1/month account maintenance fee.
- It’s possible to buy and sell bitcoin (BTC) cheaper elsewhere.
- The revamped desktop interface looks terrible and feels harder to use.
- Wirex cards aren’t accepted in some places (but that is rare).
Who Are Wirex?
Wirex has over 2.6 million users across over 150 countries, with more than 3000 new registrations every single day.
To sum up their mission statement, Wirex is aiming to.
- Expand the availability of banking services.
- Get more people involved in the ongoing financial revolution.
- Remove the geographic limitations of finance.
- Store bitcoin (BTC), ether (ETH), litecoin (LTC), ripple (XRP), waves (WAVES), wollo (WLC), dai (DAI), nano (NANO), and stellar (XLM) in their web wallets.
- Send and receive from/to these cryptocurrency web wallets.
- Buy and sell supported cryptocurrencies with GBP, EUR, and other fiat currencies at very competitive rates (about 1% above the real exchange rate).
- Wirex’s GBP card is a Visa Debit (EUR/USD cards are prepaid). You can use it anywhere that Visa is accepted, which is more than 54 million outlets and ATMs.
- Contactless support.
- Designated account number and sort code.
- Spend wherever Visa Debit cards are normally supported (some merchants might decline it).
- Earn 0.5% cashback (in bitcoin!) when you spend (in-store) with your Wirex card.
Wirex fully supports 32 countries, which includes the UK, Europe, and Singapore.
In the near future, Wirex cards will be available in the US too.
There’s partial support (i.e. without card features) in dozens of other countries. You can check what features are available in your country (or one that you’re visiting) here.
You can buy, sell, and transfer the following cryptocurrencies on Wirex:
- Bitcoin (BTC)
- Ethereum (ETH)
- Litecoin (LTC)
- Ripple (XRP)
- Waves (WAVES)
- Wollo (WLO)
- Dai (DAI)
- Nano (NANO)
- Stellar (XLM)
Supported Traditional (Fiat) Currencies
In addition to GBP, EUR, and USD accounts, Wirex now supports the following traditional currencies:
- AUD (Australian Dollar)
- CAD (Canadian Dollar)
- CHF (Swiss Franc)
- CZK (Czech Koruna)
- HKD (Hong Kong Dollar)
- JPY (Japanese Yen)
- Mexican Peso (MXN)
- SGD (Singapore Dollar)
- Credit/debit cards (3D Secure)
- UK bank transfer
You can also withdraw GBP from your Wirex account via a UK bank transfer. These are processed through the Faster Payments Scheme, which means they should be processed quickly. For whatever reason, there’s not a reference field at the moment.
If you’re using a credit or debit card, you can top-up your account with £5000/€5000/$5000 per day.
Lower limits apply to UK bank transfers.
|Daily Limit||Weekly Limit||Monthly Limit|
The maximum card balance is £15000/€16000/$20000. The transfer might get bounced if you try to deposit more than that. However, your account balance (seperate from card balance) is uncapped.
Deposits with a debit or credit card are instant, but my bank transfers weren’t credited for about an hour (even though they support Faster Payments). I find that it’s quicker and easier to just use your debit card.
All EUR accounts are linked with an IBAN. This means that European residents can now fund their EUR accounts with a SEPA transfer too.
Wirex Card Fees
Wirex card fees are reasonable and competitive.
Setting up a Wirex account is FREE and getting a physical card issued and delivered is also FREE.
Unfortunately, there is a £1/€1.20/$1.50 per month account management fee. It’s not a significant amount, but it’s still an annoying consideration. Regardless of your account activity, you’ll pay this account management fee.
These are the other Wirex card limits and fees I picked out…
|Fee or Limit||Charge|
|ATM charge (in Europe)||£1.75/€2.25/$2.50|
|ATM charge (outside Europe)||£2.25/€2.75/$3.50|
|ATM withdrawals||£250/€250/$250 per day|
|Cashback (in-store)||£50 per day|
|Credit/Debit card top-up||£5000/€5000/$5000 per day|
|Maximum card balance||£15000/€16000/$20000|
|Daily Spend Limit||£7500/€8000/$10000|
|Daily Transfer Limit||$50000 per day|
I wouldn’t make a habit of withdrawing cash with the Wirex card, as the ATM charge will add up.
If I needed the raw cash, I’d just transfer the funds to my main bank account, and then withdraw via that (without paying any fees).
More information available here.
Buying Bitcoin With Wirex
Wirex has competitive rates (and low fees) in the UK and Europe for BTC, ETH, XRP, and all other supported cryptocurrencies.
Wirex offers wholesale exchange rates when you buy bitcoin (which are very close to the real BTC to GBP exchange rate). However, Wirex does charge a 1% fee for any crypto purchases you make.
However, these alternatives aren’t as convenient. The closest competitor which offers equivalent convenience is Solidi (which charges higher rates). Check out my review for the lowdown on them.
It’s possible to buy and send supported cryptocurrencies on Wirex without ordering a Wirex card too. If that’s all you want to do, check out this post.
I think Wirex’s browser interface looks terrible, but it does the job.
Wirex has quite obviously developed the web interface around the mobile. The mobile version works and feels a lot better though (I can’t take screenshots as the app disallows it).
Coinbase Card is another half-decent crypto debit card available in the UK.
I recently reviewed it (check that out here). It offers a great user experience, allowing you to spend directly from your cryptocurrency balance.
But the fees suck. Every single time you make a purchase, you’ll be charged a cryptocurrency exchange fee of 2.49%. Ooof! No thanks.
There is no better crypto debit card available right now.
Summary: Best Bitcoin Debit Card?
When I first heard about Wirex, I wasn’t expecting much.
But I was wrong. Wirex 3.0 is awesome.
Without a doubt, it’s the best bitcoin debit card available in the UK and EU right now.
- You can buy and sell bitcoin (BTC) and other supported cryptocurrencies without getting ripped off (fees of just 1%, which is fantastic).
- It’s convenient and beginner-friendly. You get can going in no time at all.
- Wirex GBP Visa Debit cards are accepted anywhere a normal Visa is (which is nearly everywhere).
- 0.5% cashback on your purchases is competitive.
Want to give Wirex a shot?