- Ease of Use
- Customer Support
- Payment Options
I’ve been impressed by Wirex.
It’s a crypto-friendly account, which has minimal fees, EXTREMELY competitive exchange rates (less than 0.5% above market rate), and a good user interface. Wirex now supports bitcoin, ether, XRP, and an ever-growing list of other cryptocurrencies.
It’s definitely the best bitcoin debit card available in the UK and Europe.
Wirex is a crypto-friendly currency account. It allows you to store, transfer, and exchange between cryptocurrencies (e.g., Bitcoin & XRP) and fiat currencies (i.e., GBP, EUR, & USD).
With Wirex’s GBP Visa Debit card, you can also shop in-store and online.
Is it the best bitcoin debit card in the UK and EU? Check out this Wirex review to find out more.
Advantages & Disadvantages
- Quick verification (< 5mins).
- 4* Trustpilot rating (700+ reviews)
- Hold a UK FCA e-money licence.
- Only two other crypto and fiat payment platforms hold this.
- 24/7 customer support.
- Buy and sell bitcoin (BTC), ether (ETH), litecoin (LTC), ripple (XRP), waves (WAVES), wollo (WLO), and dai (DAI) at competitive rates.
- Cashback (0.5% in satoshis) when you use your Wirex card (in-store only).
- Contactless Visa Debit cards (issued and delivered for FREE).
- Browser-based and mobile apps (iOS & Android).
- Excellent interface.
- Provide crypto-friendly business accounts too!
- £1/month account maintenance fee.
- Can buy and sell bitcoin (BTC) cheaper elsewhere.
- Wirex cards aren’t accepted everywhere.
Who Is Wirex?
Wirex has over 1.5 million users across over 130 countries.
To sum up their mission statement, Wirex is aiming to.
- Expand the availability of banking services.
- Get more people involved in the ongoing financial revolution.
- Remove the geographic limitations of finance.
- Store bitcoin (BTC), ether (ETH), litecoin (LTC), ripple (XRP), waves (WAVES), wollo (WLC), and dai (DAI) in their web wallets.
- Send and receive from/to these cryptocurrency web wallets.
- Buy and sell supported cryptocurrencies with GBP, EUR, and other supported fiat currencies at very competitive rates (about 1% above the real exchange rate).
- Wirex’s GBP card is a Visa Debit (EUR/USD cards are prepaid).
- Contactless support.
- Designated account number and sort code.
- Spend wherever Visa Debit cards are normally supported (some merchants might decline it).
- Earn 0.5% cashback (in bitcoin!) when you spend (in-store) with your Wirex card.
Wirex fully supports 31 countries, which includes the UK and Europe.
In the near future, Wirex cards will be available in the US too.
There’s partial support (i.e., without card features) in dozens of other countries. You can check what features are available in your country here.
- Czech Republic
- United Kingdom
You can buy, sell, and transfer the following cryptocurrencies on Wirex:
- Bitcoin (BTC)
- Ethereum (ETH)
- Litecoin (LTC)
- Ripple (XRP)
- Waves (WAVES)
- Wollo (WLO)
- Dai (DAI)
- Nano (NANO)
- Stellar (XLM)
Supported Traditional Currencies
In addition to GBP, EUR, and USD accounts, Wirex now supports the following traditional currencies:
- AUD (Australian Dollar)
- CAD (Canadian Dollar)
- CHF (Swiss Franc)
- CZK (Czech Koruna)
- HKD (Hong Kong Dollar)
- JPY (Japanese Yen)
- Mexican Peso (MXN)
- SGD (Singapore Dollar)
You can activate these additional currencies by:
- Go to Preferences > Accounts.
- Scroll down to Inactive Accounts.
- Select the + symbol next to the currency you want to add.
- Select Home in the left sidebar and you’ll see that currency in the Accounts Overview.
- Credit/debit cards (3D Secure)
- UK bank transfer
As of February 2019, you can also withdraw GBP from your Wirex account via a UK bank transfer. These are processed through the Faster Payments Scheme, which means they should be processed quickly. For whatever reason, there’s not a reference field at the moment.
If you’re using a credit or debit card, you can top-up your account with £5000/€5000/$5000 per day.
This limit doesn’t apply to UK bank transfers. However, the maximum account balance is £15000/€16000/$20000. The transfer might get bounced if you try to deposit more than that.
Deposits with a debit or credit card are instant, but my bank transfers weren’t credited for about an hour (even though they support Faster Payments). Unless you’re looking to deposit more than £5000, it’s quicker and easier to just use your debit card. Currently, only Wirex users in the EEA are able to top-up accounts with a credit or debit card.
All EUR accounts are linked with an IBAN. This means that European residents can now fund their EUR accounts with a SEPA transfer too.
Wirex Card Fees
Wirex card fees are reasonable and competitive.
Setting up a Wirex account is FREE.
You can also get a physical card issued and delivered for FREE.
Unfortunately, there is a £1/€1.20/$1.50 per month account management fee. It’s not a significant amount, but it’s still an annoying financial consideration. Regardless of your account activity, you’ll pay this account management fee.
These are the other Wirex card limits and fees I picked out…
|Fee or Limit||Charge|
|ATM charge (in Europe)||£1.75/€2.25/$2.50|
|ATM charge (outside Europe)||£2.25/€2.75/$3.50|
|ATM withdrawals||£250/€250/$250 per day|
|Cashback (in-store)||£50 per day|
|Credit/Debit card top-up||£3000/€3000/$3000 per day|
|Maximum card balance||£15000/€16000/$20000|
|Daily Spend Limit||£7500/€8000/$10000|
|Daily Transfer Limit||10 BTC|
I wouldn’t make a habit of withdrawing cash with the Wirex card, as the ATM charge will add up.
If I needed the raw cash, I’d just transfer the funds to my main bank account, and then withdraw via that (without paying any fees).
More information available here.
Buying Bitcoin With Wirex
Wirex offers has competitive rates (and low fees) in the UK and Europe for BTC, ETH, XRP, and all other supported cryptocurrencies.
Wirex offers wholesale exchange rates when you buy bitcoin (which are very close to the real BTC to GBP exchange rate). However, Wirex does charge a 1% fee for any cryptocurrencies you make.
However, these alternatives aren’t as convenient. The closest competitor which offers equivalent convenience is Solidi. Check out my review for the lowdown on them.
It’s possible to buy and send supported cryptocurrencies on Wirex without ordering a Wirex card. If that’s all you want to do, check out this post.
When you’re buying bitcoin (BTC) with Wirex, it’ll clearly show you the exchange rate and fees you’re being charged. However, the competitiveness of this exchange rate isn’t explicit.
To understand how competitive Wirex prices are, check out BittyBot. It ranks the exchange rate offered by bitcoin (BTC) sellers in the UK (cheapest first).
When you hover over ‘Price’, you’ll see a little pop-up.
This shows you how much the offered exchange rate is above the BPI (or Bitcoin Price Index).
There are few bitcoin brokers offering better rates. As mentioned above, it’s mainly just Solidi which is keeping pace with their competitiveness.
Wirex’s browser and mobile app interface are excellent.
It’s clean, intuitive, and easy-to-use.
Nothing more to say about that. It’s awesome.
Coinbase Card is the only other half-decent crypto debit card available in the UK.
I recently reviewed it (check that out here). It offers a great user experience, allowing you to spend directly from your cryptocurrency balance.
But the fees suck. Every single time you make a purchase, you’ll be charged a cryptocurrency exchange fee of 2.49%. Ooof!
Summary: Best Bitcoin Debit Card?
When I first heard about Wirex, I wasn’t expecting much.
But I was wrong. Wirex 3.0 is awesome.
Without a doubt, it’s the best bitcoin debit card available in the UK and EU right now.
- You can buy and sell bitcoin (BTC) and other supported cryptocurrencies without getting ripped off.
- It’s convenient and beginner-friendly.
- Wirex GBP Visa Debit cards are accepted most places I tested.
- 0.5% cashback on your purchases is competitive.
Want to give Wirex a shot?